Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Icon Shuffle

I have a large collection of icons and thought it would be interesting to see if the software would be able to detect similarity between them. The next picture shows you a subset of my icons and you can see some of them are quite similar. Click it to enlarge.



I've written some code to compare all icons to each other and the next picture shows you how the icons are paired. The right icon of each pair is the best found match for the left icon.



Overall the matching is quite okay. In most cases it finds a variant of an icon as its best match. Sometimes the best match is weird, because there is a variant but it is not selected. For some reason the red heart is chosen as best match in a number of cases.

Sometimes the best match is really another object but we can understand the similarity. For example this one where the flow of the object probably caused the match:


Or this one where the colours and form match quite well:


And the roundness of these two objects:


Okay, I'll be moving on to other data sources from now on. I found a site where I can easily retrieve stock market data and feed it into the Crazy Diamonds engine. Again I'm going to search for similarity but now for stock value history. Maybe we'll come up with some interesting reoccuring patterns there. I'll let you know soon!

No comments: